If you started a new business a few years ago you would probably have bought an office suite to help you run it. This would contain a word processor, a spreadsheet application, a presentations tool and maybe a drawing package and database program too.
Then you’d spend time setting up these applications to suit your business. That meant creating templates for documents, using spreadsheets as invoices and building presentations for clients. Office suites usually didn’t include an accounting package, so you’d have had to buy that separately, along with any specialist software.
Pre-Built Software Solutions they all work quite well, but there were some major problems.
- Software applications need update how often they get an update maybe once in 2 years.
- Sharing a file to application isn’t so easy its time consuming.
- 100s of excellent features in the package you paid for but you really use them.
- User licence keys expire in time and are usually out-of-budget for a start-up.
- Above all these office suits were always expensive.
- Your Key “Must Haves” Aren’t Available.
Custom Software Solutions: Clearly one of the top reasons to choose a custom software solution over something pre-built is you get exactly what you need without any compromises. Many businesses from a variety of industries have the need to effectively track, organize, report, and securely store client data or staffing data on their own platform. And custom software is often the best and most sensible solution to meet all of those needs.
Custom software is certainly an ideal solution for businesses, but determining whether it’s feasible is another matter. An investment of this kind takes time to plan, time to develop and test, and ongoing resources to maintain. It costs more upfront than the standard cookie-cutter software from pre-built solutions. Having said that, pre-built solutions usually have an opportunity cost associated with them as well.
To determine whether a custom software solution is right for your business, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do we have enough time to have someone build our custom software?
- Do we have the capital to fund a custom software project?
- Do we have a solution to host and service our new software?
There are many other questions you could ask yourself that might help you with your decision. In the end, it usually boils down to your priorities and plans. Many start-ups don’t have the means to build a custom software solution, so they choose to use something that is already built with plans to build in the future. However, because they’re limited to their software capabilities, it can actually prevent their business from growing as fast and successfully as it could if they had a custom software solution in place.
Improve experience. An app can give your business a constant presence on customers’ phones, offering easily accessible information right at their fingertips improving customer’s experience.
5 Key Advantages Of Custom Software Development
- TAILOR MADE: Custom software development ensures your software can carry out your daily processes and functionality. Custom software is designed to do exactly what you want it to; in return it makes your day easier. Utilising the latest industry standards and technology, custom software can be as complex or intuitive as you like, making it the ideal choice for all business sizes.
- MINIMAL COST: Sometimes the costs associated with developing custom business applications for your business are higher than purchasing a ready-made product, and sometimes they are not. The long-term benefits of custom business applications are far more valuable than purchasing a ready-made product. While off-the-shelf software can include additional costs with licences, custom software is owned outright by you.
- INTEGRATION: Businesses that are in need of numerous software programs can enjoy the benefits of operating with one custom software application designed to integrate multiple processes. Custom software in this respect helps you to accomplish more of what you need.
- MAINTENANCE: Custom software can be maintained for as long as you require it to be. With off-the-shelf software, your business is at the mercy of the re-configuring after each update.
- SUPPORT: One of the major benefits you get with custom software is an efficient and reliable technical support plan.
Conclusion: The bottom line is, pre-built software has its limitations and likely won’t scale near as fast and in tandem with your business. Having your own custom software solution allows you to add custom features unique to your business, scale up support, and patch issues quickly, which turns your software into a business advantage over your competitors who are using their pre-built software.
All of our clients have full access to a technical support team that is involved in the development process of your application, so any encountered problems are resolved in an efficient manner.
Our software developer’s specialise in custom software systems that make your day easier. We ‘trim the fat’ from your daily processes and produce streamlined solutions that enhance productivity. Thinking about custom software for your business?